Call today to schedule your consultation. We can find a time that works for you. During this sensitive time due to COVID 19,
we are offering virtual meetings or by phone.

Law Office of Stacey Keenan
Law Office of Stacey Keenan
  • 2355 West Highway 36
    Suite 400
    Roseville, MN 55113
  • Call Now (651) 337-8804

    To See How We Can Help Protect Your Family!

At the first divorce hearing, the court encourages the parties to try Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). Many parties opt to try the Early Neutral Evaluation process (ENE). Evaluations are done with a neutral called an Evaluator. Evaluations are a good option because evaluators are trained to give each party suggestions that a judge would but also are there to help the parties reach an agreement. Parties can also reach an agreement using a mediator, a face-to-face settlement conference, through exchanges of proposals, or other options. Even if a case does not settle at the first ADR session, the parties have the option of reaching an agreement (settling) at any point before final judicial decision. It makes sense to reach an agreement. Divorce is the start to a new life, as a party you want to make sure that your schedule with your children and your assets/debts are divided in a fair manner.

What Is The Process To Get A Child Custody Or Child Support Order Modified In Minnesota?

Unless there is domestic violence the court want you to submit a form showing that you have attempted the ADR process, first. In most circumstances, the court wants to see that a significant change has occurred in the family that necessitates it the change requested in the motion, if you are at this stage with your situation it’s best that you call and speak to a lawyer.

What Should I Do If I Am Served With Court Papers In A Modification Case?

The best thing to do is answer with responsive papers and make sure to go to court. After you have been served, it would be best to hire an attorney. An attorney can help you prepare the best possible response.

Do I Need To Hire The Same Attorney Who Handled The Divorce Case For A Modification Or Can I Hire Your Firm?

The truth is you can hire whatever firm you would like to hire. However, if you hire a familiar attorney, it will save you money because they are already privy to the details of your family law situation. It is best to stick with your old attorney unless they no longer practice, or you have a conflict with them.

What Can I Expect To Happen At the Modification Hearing?

I’ve seen many situations where one party was leaving the state, and wanted to move with the child. In situations like this the judge told everyone in the courtroom that these determinations were challenging to make. In most cases, both parties agree to a third-party neutral evaluator. Many times, evaluators and mediators go through similar training. I prefer the evaluation process because they often result in decisions a court would reach. An agreement is never forced. If the parties not reaching agreement the court will set an evidentiary hearing, where the court will make a final decision.

Can A Request Or Petition To Modify A Decree Be Challenged Or Can A Final Decision To A Modification Be Appealed?

In child custody or child support modification, In most cases, the moving party must show a significant change to modify a final decision. In child support cases, a successful child support motion must show at least a twenty five percent change in the proposed support obligation.

Is the Court More Hesitant To Grant A Modification To Child Custody Or Child Support Within That First Year Or 6 Months Following A Final Order?

Unless the parties can show that there was endangerment overlooked during the first proceeding, it is difficult to make a significant change to custody or parenting time, before a year passes. There is a difference between changing physical custody and parenting time. It can be less of a challenge to modify parenting time than changing custody.

For more information on Trying To Mediate A Divorce In Minnesota, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (651) 337-8804 today.

Law Office of Stacey Keenan

Call Now To See How We Can Help Protect Your Family!
(651) 337-8804